Kyle, Tiffany, Maddie, Cooter & Dixie

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My first time in the ER!

Tiffany Cargol made her debut at the Memorial Hermann Hospital ER last night. Yes, my first time to the ER to my knowledge and I even have a hospital bracelet on. Here is what happened:

I decided to make a really nice dinner for Kyle. Bake him a shrimp fettuccine casserole, fresh bread and make a spinach salad. My salad that I like to make has blueberries, feta, and candied pecans on it. So...dinner was minutes away from being done and Kyle was on his way home. I was stirring the pecans and sugar over a medium flame on the stove to not burn them as the sugar turned to a hot liquid. They looked perfect. I decided to scoop them all into a freezer bag so that they could cool and I could crush them then a little while later. As I stood at the stove (with the bag over my bare feet) my feet instantly starting burning like on fire. I looked down to notice the bag had dissolved from the heat and my feet were coated in liquid pecans. I screamed bloody murder and launched myself into the kitchen sink because they were stuck to me. I used my left hand to help pry them off. I have never experienced pain like this. My phone happened to be near by and I called Kyle crying. He was almost home and freaking out. He got home, we changed me out of my wet pants and headed to the ER. We weren't sure how bad the burns were or how to care for them. We arrived at 8pm and checked in. We weren't led back to the ER room until about 11 pm. As I had sat in the waiting area, my feet felt like hot pins and needles were in them. I also had burned my left hand too. I was in severe pain and barefoot. Once in the ER, I got to lay down. By then, my feet were numb and turning purple. Kyle was beyond anxious to get out of there..so was I...and we were both starving. The nurse and doctor finally came it. They put a burn ointment on both feet and they are all bandaged up. I also got a wonderful Tetanus shot in my left arm. I am also on Vicadin. The doctor's main concern is to keep my burns clear of anything to bother them that could cause infection or breaking of the blisters. We left the ER after midnight to still have to get my meds at Walgreens and get some dinner in us. Thank goodness Whataburger is open late! We got home around 1:30 am. Last night, my feet continued to burn even more while I tried to sleep. The doctor said the burn would keep burning for a while longer and even spread. I got my first doctor's note to miss school/work. So cool! :) So, I am at home, in my pj's, on the phone, on the computer. I am propped up in my bed just hoping someone wants to come over and bring me some food. It is difficult to walk and I can not wear shoes. So, this is my dramatic story. Lesson learned..don't cook for Kyle! ;) or, maybe never make candied pecans barefoot again or use a baggie.


Pecans anyone?
Bored in the ER. Took this pic to send to my family.

Awww sad!